Skip to main content

Nahum: Wrestling with the violence of Scripture


I had not previously done an in-depth study of Nahum. In fact, if I had to recite all 66 books of the Christian Bible I probably would have neglected this one. This stands as no huge surprise, a short 3 chapter book that is rarely mentioned in Bible studies, sermons, or quoted on home decor. But it stood out to me this time, as the author of my Old Testament textbook bragged on its literary craftsmanship saying "Nahum has no superior and few peers among Old Testament poets." (LaSor 319). That really caught my attention! Why haven't I heard more about this work of art, then? Reading on a bit further answered my query rather quickly.

Nahum is really a violent book, describing and relishing in the destruction of the Assyrian capital, Nineveh. It stands in stark contrast with the rather popular book, Jonah. I suppose it would seem ironic to champion such a book when its counter is so commonly referenced, and has such an opposing story and message, God's mercy for Ninevah. Considering Jonah ends in an anti-climactic and somewhat depressing way, since Jonah is essentially throwing a childish tantrum without resolution, it's even more depressing to consider that he was actually somewhat right about the Ninevites. They eventually turned back to their wicked ways and had to be destroyed after all.

I wrestle with the violent message of Nahum. Jonah is so much more comfortable and fits so much easier with the teachings of Jesus. The textbook asserts, "A man who is deeply and truly religious is always a man of wrath. Because he loves God and his fellow men, he hates and despises inhumanity, cruelty, and wickedness. Every good man sometimes prophesies like Nahum." (LaSor 322). While I'm not completely convinced this entire statement is true, I think I get the point of what they are trying to say. Loving God also means loving your neighbor, and if you really love someone it would be hard to see them mistreated in brutal and violent ways. I suppose it's much more difficult for people of my generation (who live in the comfortable West) to understand the type of justice people pray for when they've witnessed something truly horrific.


Those who survived the holocaust, perhaps, may have an easier time relating. People who have lived among the brutality in North Korea or in the Middle East, perhaps, would feel differently. Recently, I sat across the table from a friend from South Korea who regaled me with stories of those who have escaped from the North and I was stunned into silence. It's horrible how humans can treat other humans. It's really terrifying how corrupt and wicked human powers can become.

I may not fully understand the intersection between God's mercy and his justice, but I recognize that there is a clear tension there presented in scripture. While we may feel more comfortable with messages like Hosea or Jonah, the voices of prophets like Nahum still reside alongside them in the canon -recognized by the people of God for thousands of years as inspired scripture. We must not give in to the temptation to ignore what is uncomfortable for us about God or His Word. We must not allow our own personal experience within history and culture to create a bias that prevents proper exegesis of God's word. Not if we want to become teachers of it.


Not many of you should become teachers, my brothers, for you know that we who teach will be judged with greater strictness...But the wisdom from above is first pure, then peaceable, gentle, open to reason, full of mercy and good fruits, impartial and sincere.   
—James 3:1, 17 ESV



Works cited:

LaSor, William Sanford, et al. Old Testament Survey: The Message, Form, and Background of the Old Testament. United States, Eerdmans Publishing Company, 1996.

English Standard Version. Bible Gateway, https://www.biblegateway.com/versions/English-Standard-Version-ESV-Bible.
 
Photo by Pixabay from Pexels: https://www.pexels.com/photo/black-metal-train-rails-53442/

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"IKEA online checkout won't load!" Solution

I just wanted to share the dumbest, simplest solution to a poor web design problem I encountered on IKEA's website to save others from the stress and frustration I experienced. When attempting to place an online order from my cart I had to enter the zip code to get a delivery estimate before being able to click "Begin checkout". But once I had clicked this a blank white screen loaded with nothing. Every. Single. Time. I tried it in multiple browsers, on multiple devices, I even tried to arrange to pick the items up at the local store.  Google came to the rescue and I found a Facebook post describing a similar problem (except hers included an error code I never got:  "We were unable to place your order at the moment, we are checking the problem. Please come back later". ) And I decided to try her solution. IT WORKED!!!! SOLUTION HERE: Ladies and gentleman, it is as simple as updating your profile information before trying to complete your order. So ridiculo

It's Okay to Feel...

In times like these, we are each being bombarded with a thousand different emotions every single day, most of them unpleasant. There is a lot of fear going around, for obvious reasons. We might feel anxious, stressed, overwhelmed. For those of us who struggle with anxiety and depression in the norm, this is a whole new level. But even those of us who generally feel pretty capable and level headed are being tested. Many of us feel alone, unsure, and weary of the new burdens being placed on us. But what do we do with all of these negative emotions? As Christians, we are taught to be joyful at best, at the very least content. Our lives should be marked with peace that passes understanding, joy unspeakable, and the contentment of a sheep who knows they have a good shepherd taking care of them. God is good. The Lord provides. He has the ultimate victory. Even now in the season of Easter, a holiday marking the greatest victory of all: the defeat of death and the grave! Jesus

An Ode to Vittles

My husband and I are grieving a tragic loss. It has hit our household hard and shaken the foundations of the peaceful and happy life we have built these 12 years together. Almost half of these years were filled with sweetness and joy by the presence of our beloved cat, Vittles. You may think it silly to speak so affectionately of a cat or describe such a heavy grief for the loss of one, but I can promise you it is not an exaggeration. Truth be told, words fail to express how precious Vittles was to us or how heavy the loss of him feels. Vittles was special in an inexpressible way, something I couldn't explain to you no matter how hard I may try. Fortunately, he was also special in describable ways, as well. Vittles was unlike other cats, and I can say that with some authority as we have had 5 and both grew up around cats. He was more loyal and friendly than any dog, but in a non oppressive way. He was sweet and kind and it may sound cliche or untrue but I can say with certainty tha